There are a controversia about how many tasks has to do an Scrum Master.
Furthermore, there are some people who affirm that SM is not neccesary in
Scrum such as Kanban hasn’t any role as facilitator. Others claim that Product Owner and
SM can be the same person.
But if you want to know in detail the amount of duties that an Scrum Master has go
ahead and visit the blog of Bernd Schiffer which names the forty tasks that is supposed to do
an Scrum Master daily.
Maybe those who ask don’t know what it is that a Scrum Master does all day long?
Here’s a list of 42 things I’d say are part of a Scrum masters job:
- Facilitating meetings for the team. This includes:
- Holding retrospectives. Retrospectives are special meetings, therefore I count them separately.
- Coaching team members (e.g. with one-on-one coachings).
- Mediating through conflicts.
- Helping the team to make decisions.
- Fostering the developer team’s self-organisation.
- Mediating the general conflict of goals between development team (high technical quality) and product owner (more features).
If you want to read all of the tasks go to 42 tasks for a Scrum Master